Twelve sides have already booked their places in the last 16. Four of them have already wrapped up top spot in their groups, including AS Monaco. Three can only finish second: Bayer, Bayern and Man City. Another four sides have already been knocked out of Europe altogether: Celtic, Bruges, Dinamo Zagreb and Dynamo Kiev, while just one is currently guaranteed a place in the UEFA Europa League: Moenchengladbach.
Paris looking to seal top spot
For the rest, this week’s games are crucial. Monegasque fans will be looking out for PSG’s result tonight, as the Parisians take on Ludogorets in an attempt to finish top of Group A. If they win, Arsenal will be among the potential opponents for AS Monaco when the draw for the last 16 is made on Monday 12 December.
Napoli, Benfica and Besiktas neck and neck!
The denouement in Group B promises to be a more suspenseful affair, with three teams still in with a shout of qualifying: Napoli, Benfica and Besiktas. Napoli, who face Benfica, need only a point to qualify. The winner of that gale will finish top. Beşiktaş, who travel to Kiev, could do with a win to qualify, in which case the Turkish side will also top the group if the other match ends in a draw. If Beşiktaş draw, they will only qualify if Napoli lose.
Real or Borussia?
In Wednesday’s games, the showdown between Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund will determine the shape of Group F. Real need to win to snatch top spot from the German outfit. It’s a similar story in Group G, where Porto need to beat Leicester, who are already through, if they are to deny Copenhagen the chance to leapfrog them with a win in Bruges...
OL need something big
Finally, in Group H, Lyon need to beat Sevilla by two clear goals to make it into the last 16. If Lyon win, AS Monaco will have one fewer potential opponent in the draw. But nothing has yet been decided, and both Juventus and Sevilla could yet finish second.
— Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) 6 December 2016
How things stand ahead of matchday 6
- Qualified: Atlético Madrid (group winner), Barcelona (group winner), Leicester City (group winner), Monaco (group winner), Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid
- In contention: Benfica, Beşiktaş, Copenhagen, Lyon, Napoli, Porto, Sevilla
- Out of the Champions League: Basel, Borussia Moenchengladbach, Celtic, FC Bruges, CSKA Moscow, Dinamo Zagreb, Dynamo Kiev, Legia, Ludogorets Razgrad, PSV Eindhoven, Rostov, Sporting CP, Tottenham Hotspur
- Qualified for the UEFA Europa League: Borussia Moenchengladbach
- Out of Europe: Celtic, Bruges, Dinamo Zagreb, Dynamo Kiev
— Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) 5 December 2016